[LLVMdev] RFC: Pass Manager Redux

Peter Cooper peter_cooper at apple.com
Wed Jul 11 10:10:45 PDT 2012

This is excellent Chandler.

We spoke before about wanting to keep running things like InstCombine and SimplifyCFG in a loop until stabilization.  This will make doing that much easier.

I think some of the idea for this work might have come from a patch i tried to submit a few weeks ago on reducing recomputing the dom tree, in which you commented that we need to fix the pass manager.  In that email i mentioned that not all passes respect the return value from runOnFunction.  Is your pass framework going to explicitly use this return value?  If so we'll need everyone to help make sure passes correctly return when they change anything.

Pete