[LLVMdev] RFC: Pass Manager Redux

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 11 09:22:34 PDT 2012

On 7/11/12 4:50 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
> Greetings folks!
>
> In working on a new optimization pass (splitting cold regions into
> separate functions based on branch probabilities) I've run into some
> limitations of the current pass manager infrastructure. After chatting
> about this with Nick, it seems that there are some pretty systematic
> weaknesses of the current design and implementation (but not with the
> fundamental concepts or behavior).
>
> Current issues:
>
> [snip]
>
> - What else did I miss?

Analysis groups.

There are two limitations on analysis groups:

1) For some reason, setting one up and adding passes to it doesn't seem
to have worked quite as smoothly as it should.  I don't remember the
exact details, but in the past, I've had to struggle to create Analysis
Groups and make them work properly.

2) Rerunning analysis group passes after invalidation.  If you want to
use an analysis other than the default analysis group, you have to
manually specify where to use it each time in the pass pipeline. If your
non-default pass gets invalidated, then the default is used by any other
transform that requests an analysis from that group.

-- John T.