[LLVMdev] Comparison of Alias Analysis in LLVM

Jianzhou Zhao jianzhou at seas.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 3 13:53:19 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2012, at 9:42 PM, Jianzhou Zhao wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Chapter 4 in http://llvm.org/pubs/2005-05-04-LattnerPHDThesis.html
>> compares the precision of alias analysis in LLVM at that time. Does
>> the latest LLVM still follow the similar results? I was also wondering
>> how the globalmodred-aa and scev-aa that were not discussed in the PhD
>> thesis are compared with others? Thanks and Happy New Year!
>
> Hi Jianzhou,
>
> That study is over 7 years old now.  So much has changed that the results would surely have to be rerun.  Among other things, SRoA is more aggressive than in those days, so many more of the "easy" alias pairs are already resolved.
>
> -Chris

I see. I asked the question because LLVM provides several alias
analysis, and I was wondering how to decide which one should be used
for compiling most programs.

I think the basicaa is the default one, but by looking into its code,
it is not inter-procedural or context-sensitive (I am not 100% sure),
so does not provide interesting mod/ref information. Then, GVN(PRE)
and LICM may not have a lot of opportunities for optimizing calls. So,
I looked into the thesis for understanding how those inter-procedural
aa and other aa contribute. I guess basicaa has a better speed-up per
compiling-cost ratio for most common programs than others. Is this
correct?

--
Jianzhou