[LLVMdev] Predicate registers/condition codes question

Tony Linthicum tlinth at codeaurora.org
Tue Feb 28 11:17:10 PST 2012

Hey folks,

We are having some difficulty with how we have been representing our
predicate registers, and wanted some advice from the list.  First, we
had been representing our predicate registers as 1 bit (i1).  The truth,
however, is that they are 8 bits.  The reason for this is that they
serve as predicates for conditional execution of instructions,  branch
condition codes, and also as vector mask registers for conditional
selection of vector elements.

We have run into problems with type mismatches with intrinsics for some
of our vector operations.  We decided to try to solve it by representing
the predicate registers as what they really are, namely i8.  We changed
our intrinsic and instruction definitions accordingly, changed the data
type of the predicate registers to be i8, and changed
getSetCCResultType() to return i8.  After doing this, the compiler
builds just fine but dies at runtime trying to match some target
independent operations (e.g. setcc/brcond) that appear to want an i1 for
the condition code.

So, my question is this: is it even possible to represent our predicate
registers (and our condition codes) as i8, and if so, what hook are we
missing?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

Tony

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum.