[LLVMdev] Alias in LLVM 3.0

Relph, Richard Richard.Relph at amd.com
Mon Feb 27 14:48:48 PST 2012

We use alias extensively in our library to support OpenCL generating code for both our CPUs and GPUs. During the transition to LLVM 3.0 with the new type system, we're seeing two problems. Both involve type conversions occurring across an alias.

In one case, one of the types is pointer to an opaque type, and ends up creating an assert in the verifier where it is checking that argument types passed match parameter types expected.
In the other case, we're seeing a type conversion inserted where previously no conversion (or an implicit bitcast conversion, if you prefer) was done.

In thinking about this, it feels like there are two possible interpretations of alias, but the LLVM IR Language Reference leaves a lot to one's pre-conceived notions.
The first interpretation (and we believe the long-standing one) is that an alias is merely another name for a block of target machine instructions. We call this "bit-preserving alias", or "late alias", not being aware of any well-known names for this kind of alias, beyond "alias".
The second interpretation might be called "value-preserving" alias, or "early alias". In this version, the alias is conceptually a "call", with all the arguments converted (as if by assignment) to those expected by the callee.
It seems LLVM 3.0 implements value-preserving alias, while previous LLVM versions implemented (perhaps by accident) bit-preserving alias.
It's worth noting that in many cases both kinds of alias produce the same results... for example, in OpenCL:

static uint2 __ SH1I422 ( uint2 foo, uint2 ) { ... }
extern __attribute__((overloadable, weak, alias("__SH1I422"))) uint2 shuffle(uint2, uint2);
extern __attribute__((overloadable, weak, alias("__SH1I422"))) int2 shuffle(int2, uint2);

Both value-preserving and bit-preserving alias do the same thing for the above two cases.
But here's an example of an alias where the results differ. It used to work with LLVM 2.9, but does not with LLVM 3.0...

extern __attribute__((overloadable, weak, alias("__SH1I422"))) float2 shuffle(float2, uint2);

In LLVM 2.9 and LLVM 3.0, our front-end generates:
@__shuffle_2f32_2u32 = alias weak <2 x i32> (<2 x i32>, <2 x i32>)* @4
And the calls, before linking, look like:
%call9 = call <2 x float> @__shuffle_2f32_2u32(<2 x float> %tmp7, <2 x i32> %tmp8) nounwind
After linking with LLVM 3.0, the call looks like:
%call9 = call <2 x float> bitcast (<2 x i32> (<2 x i32>, <2 x i32>)* @__shuffle_2f32_2u32 to <2 x float> (<2 x float>, <2 x i32>)*)(<2 x float> %tmp7, <2 x i32> %tmp8) nounwind
LLVM 3.0 ends up, after optimization including inlining, converting the shuffle(float2) caller's argument to uint2 and then converting __SH1I422's return value from uint2 to float2...

We're pretty intent on getting the old "bit-preserving" semantics back somehow and are looking for suggestions on how to do this, maintaining the space-compression value that we use alias for.

And, keep in mind the first case, where the types being passed in are pointers to opaque types... the target function ends up casting the pointer to a type that it knows the definition of, and it turns out is the same for all the callers, even though they are all distinct types.

Thanks,
Richard