[LLVMdev] We need better hashing

Talin viridia at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 22:58:38 PST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:53 AM, Chandler Carruth <chandlerc at google.com>wrote:

> Jeffrey and I are working on future standard library functionality for
> hashing user defined types:
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3333.html
>
> I would much rather have an interface that is close to or mirrors this
> one. We already have some field experience with it, and using it in LLVM
> and Clang would provide more. Also, it would be possible to essentially
> share code between such an implementation and libc++.
>
> We looked closely at 'hasher' objects and using add methods on them and
> they tended to have some serious drawbacks:
>
> 1) they require some amount of "incrementality", limiting the quality and
> performance of the hashing algorithm
> 2) they require more boiler plate
> 3) they compose recursively less cleanly
>
> Even given your interface, there is no actual requirement for an
> incremental hash. Simply store intermediate state in the object, and
> provide a 'finalize' step that produces the final hash code.

I'm not sure I understand what you are proposing here. I don't know what
you mean by "intermediate state". However, I really do need an incremental
hash for the various uniquing maps which I'm attempting to optimize. Take
for example the case of uniquing a constant array - the key consists of a
type* pointer and an array of constant*. Those data fields are not stored
contiguously in memory, so I need to hash them separately and then combine
the hashes. Being able to hash the data fields in place (as opposed to
copying them to a contiguous buffer) turns out to be a fairly significant
win for the uniquing maps - otherwise you end up having to do a malloc just
to look up a key, and that's going to be slower than any incremental hash
algorithm.

-- Talin