[LLVMdev] Questions on MachineFunctionPass and relaxation of pcrel calls (ARM/thumb2)

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Thu Feb 9 13:57:36 PST 2012

Hi Jason,

Branch relaxation for out of range immediates is handled by the constant island pass. That pass currently doesn't consider those instructions (they're assumed to always be in range), but there's no reason it couldn't.

That natural solution is, as you indicate, relaxing them to use indirect branches. That could be tricky, however, as you'd need a scratch register to compute the branch target into and there may not be one available. The register scavenger could spill one for you, but that would further increase the code size and I worry about that causing the constant island pass to not always converge.

An alternative to using indirect branches is to instead insert intermediate branch islands along the way. These would be new basic blocks that would be placed similarly to how the constant islands are (i.e., try to have minimal impact on other control flow). I'm still a bit concerned about convergence w/ that approach, but it does effectively avoid the register scavenging problem.

A completely different approach would be to detect very early (before isel) that the function is very large and force all unconditional branches to be indirect. That, however, is almost certainly huge overkill and will have pretty nasty performance characteristics as a result. I'd suggest leaving that to a last resort.

Regards,
-Jim