[LLVMdev] SelectionDAG scalarizes vector operations.

Rotem, Nadav nadav.rotem at intel.com
Wed Feb 8 01:02:56 PST 2012

We generate xEXT nodes in many cases.  Unlike GCC which vectorizes inner loops, we vectorize the implicit outermost loop of data-parallel workloads (also called whole function vectorization).  We vectorize code even if the user uses xEXT instructions, uses mixed types, etc.  We choose a vectorization factor which is likely to generate more legal vector types, but if the user mixes types then we are forced to make a decision.  We rely on the LLVM code generator to produce quality code.  To my understanding, the GCC vectorizer does not vectorize code if it thinks that it misses a single operation.