[LLVMdev] Invalid bitcode signature

Fraser Cormack frasercrmck at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 13:47:41 PST 2012

I'm trying to link two modules together using the C++ API, one that's a sort
of library module and one that's being generated from the source language.

If I have something like this:

OwningPtr<MemoryBuffer> owning_ptr;
if (MemoryBuffer::getFile(StringRef("../hello.bc"), owning_ptr))
    std::cout << "error opening file" << std::endl;

Module* Lib = ParseBitcodeFile(owning_ptr.get(), context, &error);

if (!Lib)
    std::cout << error << std::endl;

When I run this (either on a bitcode file generated by llvm-gcc or by
createBitcodeWriterPass()) I get an error telling me: "invalid bitcode
signature".

I'm not sure where this error's coming from. Any help would be appreciated.