[LLVMdev] (no subject)

James Molloy James.Molloy at arm.com
Thu Feb 2 01:24:34 PST 2012

Hi Umesh,

The compiler generates an alloca (stack space) for every local variable defined in a function. Along with local variables this also includes space to store the function parameters and also the variable that holds the return value.

For example:

Int x(int a, int b) {
  Return a + b;
}

Would compile to something like this:

Define i32 @x(i32 %a, i32 %b) {
    %ret.addr = alloca i32
    %a.addr = alloca i32
    %b.addr = alloca i32

    Store i32 %a, i32 *%a.addr
    Store i32 %b, i32 *%b.addr

    %1 = load i32* %a.addr
    %2 = load i32* %b.addr

    %3 = add nsw i32 %1, %2

    Store i32 %3, i32* %ret.addr

    %4 = load i32* %ret.addr
    Ret %4
}

So firstly Clang would create variables on the stack to hold the parameters and the return value, then store the parameters there (function prologue).

Then, to perform the add, it would load the arguments from their local variable storage (in this case %a.addr and %b.addr), perform the add and write the result back to its local variable storage (%ret.addr)

Finally to return it will load the return value variable and return it.

Does this make things clearer?

Cheers,

James