[LLVMdev] Git-Svn commit?

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Mon Dec 31 16:52:14 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Renato Golin <rengolin at systemcall.org> wrote:
> With git, I normally issue a pull request, but in LLVM, this won't
> work. Is there a FAQ/doc/manual on how to do that or what are the best
> practices when working with git?

Basically, once you are set up with git-svn (see
<http://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#for-developers-to-work-with-git-svn>),
all you have to do is `git svn dcommit`.

My workflow when it comes time to commit is basically:

1. checkout master and pull from origin.
2. rebase stuff to be committed onto master.
3. `git svn dcommit --dry-run` to see what is going to be committed.
4. `git svn dcommit --interactive` to doublecheck that the right stuff
is being committed as you send it off.

steps 3 and 4 can become just `git svn dcommit`, but once I had
git-svn get confused (I have no clue why) and try to re-commit other
commits that were already checked in, so I've decided to play it safe.
Actually, I think that 1 and 2 might be automatically handled by
git-svn, but I prefer to be a bit more explicit about it.

This probably deserves to be mentioned on a "Workflows" document,
listing a sampling of the different development workflows that people
use when developing LLVM. I've been wanting to write a document like
that for a while now, and this thread might be just the impetus I need
(if you're interested in this please say so).

-- Sean Silva