[LLVMdev] Can simplifycfg kill llvm.lifetime intrinsics?

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 12:35:08 PST 2012

>> Oh, I was reading "precedes/following" as having static (dominance)
>> meaning. That is, in the above example you could not delete the store
>> since it is not true that
>> llvm.lifetime.end dominates it.
>>
>> Nick, is this what you had in mind? If not, then we must delete a
>> matching llvm.lifetime.end, but it is not clear how we define
>> "matching". In the following code some executions will hit the first
>> llvm.lifetime.end and others will hit the second one.
>

> Yes, I meant at runtime.

OK, thanks. What is the meaning in the case of aliases? Should this work:

llvm.lifetime.start(%x)

llvm.lifetime.end(%y which alias %x sometimes)

If so, I guess that in order to delete a llvm.lifetime.start we have
to delete all llvm.lifetime.end that are "directly" reachable from it
and take an argument that may alias the one passed to
llvm.lifetime.start. Is that it? What about calling
llvm.lifetime.start in one function and llvm.lifetime.end in another?

It seems that deleting llvm.lifetime.start is impossible in general,
but it is safe to add one if at least one already exists, is that the
case?

On the other hand, removing llvm.lifetime.end should always be safe, right?

Cheers,
Rafael