[LLVMdev] Debugging LLVM IR with GDB

Krzysztof Parzyszek kparzysz at codeaurora.org
Mon Dec 24 07:31:00 PST 2012

On 12/24/2012 6:26 AM, jyoti wrote:

> Could anyone list up reasons why we need LLVM IR level debugger in place ?
> I could only think of one reason and that is to debug IR portability issues (?)

I wouldn't go as far as saying that we "need" an IR-level debugger, but
from my perspective it would be something that would help developers who
use Clang/LLVM to debug their code.  At higher optimization levels in
particular, source-level debugging may be obscured by various
optimizations, and assembly-level debugging may be too tedious and cryptic.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation