[LLVMdev] Handling ELF groups.

Michael Spencer bigcheesegs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 16:53:09 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Nick Kledzik <kledzik at apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2012, at 4:25 PM, Michael Spencer wrote:
>
>> So I was looking into handling ELF groups today in the Atom model. It
>> appears that we will need to add the concept of a group to the atom
>> model directly, as modeling it with references fails to capture some
>> semantics.
>>
>> http://www.sco.com/developers/gabi/latest/ch4.sheader.html
>>
>> Groups in ELF are collections of sections that must be either included
>> or excluded as a unit.
> I thought groups were a collection of symbol - not sections.  Is this a case
> where there is one symbol per section?

It's sections. There is no restriction on symbols in a group section.

>> They also are used to implement COMDAT. Each
>> group has an "identifying symbol entry" or "group signature". This is
>> only used in the case of COMDAT groups (which are marked with a flag).
>> When two COMDAT groups have the same group signature the linker must
>> select one (not specified how to pick) and discard _all_ members of
>> the other group.
>>
>> Correctly implementing this requires knowing the group name for each
>> group and having the resolver remove the correct set of atoms on
>> collision. We also need to be able to explicitly track the identifying
>> symbol entry for the relocatable case.
>
> In the darwin linker this is solved using references.   The "signature" atom in
> a group has a "group-subordinate" reference to each atom in the group.
> When an atom is coalesced away, its references are scanned and the
> target of any group-subordinate reference is also coalesced.
>
> Conceptually, a group is just a circle around some set of atoms.  That same
> information can be represented as a connected graph.  That is, by introducing
> a zero size "master " atom with reference to each atom in the group.  In the special
> case of group comdat, the signature atom can be used as the master.
>
> In other words, I'm not convinced of the need to introduce a new top level class
> (Group) to go along with Atom and Reference.  I believe we can encode
> the same information using references.
>
> -Nick

Ok, I kinda see how this can work. The only thing I'm still confused
about is conforming to this part of the ELF spec:

"This is a COMDAT group. It may duplicate another COMDAT group in
another object file, where duplication is defined as having the same
group signature. In such cases, only one of the duplicate groups may
be retained by the linker, and the members of the remaining groups
must be discarded."

How do we know that a group master is a COMDAT group master as opposed
to a normal group master?

- Michael Spencer