[LLVMdev] Question about FMA formation

Michael Ilseman milseman at apple.com
Wed Dec 12 16:51:53 PST 2012

On Dec 12, 2012, at 4:43 PM, Lang Hames <lhames at gmail.com> wrote:

> A little background:
>
> The fmuladd intrinsic was introduced to support the FP_CONTRACT pragma in C. llvm.fmuladd.* is generated by clang when it sees an expression of the form  'a * b + c' within a single source statement.
>
> If you want to opportunistically form FMA target instructions my inclination would be to skip llvm.fmuladd.* and just form them from a*b+c expressions at isel time. I don't see any fundamental problem with forming llvm.fmuladd.* to model FMA formation opportunities in an IR pass though.

I see. Shuxin, do you know if it's pretty simple to match FMA style patterns? Is there any advantage to forming them in the IR, e.g. does it allow you to do a post-pass combining or optimization?

One major user of FMA formation at the IR level is fast-isel, which could just match those patterns itself if they're simple enough and there's not much subsequent optimization to be had.