[LLVMdev] Question about FMA formation

Lang Hames lhames at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 16:43:26 PST 2012

A little background:

The fmuladd intrinsic was introduced to support the FP_CONTRACT pragma in
C. llvm.fmuladd.* is generated by clang when it sees an expression of the
form  'a * b + c' within a single source statement.

If you want to opportunistically form FMA target instructions my
inclination would be to skip llvm.fmuladd.* and just form them from a*b+c
expressions at isel time. I don't see any fundamental problem with forming
llvm.fmuladd.* to model FMA formation opportunities in an IR pass though.

- Lang.