[LLVMdev] Compile code for arm

Tim Northover t.p.northover at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 13:39:56 PST 2012

Hi Amir,

On Dec 8, 2012 8:13 PM, "Amir Yazdanbakhsh" <amir.yazdanbakhsh at gmail.com>
wrote:
> My problem is I am playing with the size of registerfile in ARM. I
thought I can do it with only modifying the Target in the LLVM directory.
But if it is going to use gcc-toolchain, then I need to modify them as well
which is a huge work!

That sort of depends how you modify it. If you just want to look at
assembly output by clang then probably nothing in GCC needs modifying. All
compiling to assembly relies on is the headers, which don't really have any
specific information about the number of registers.

If you want to produce valid executables in some sense, then it appears
you've got two options (as well as quite a bit of work on an emulator
anyway):
1. Add the registers using a currently UNDEFINED section of the instruction
space. This way the existing GCC libraries will probably be functional,
though you'll only be testing the efficiency of part of the system being
upgraded.
2. Mangle encodings even more, in which case you will have to rebuild the
libraries. Clang may or may not be capable of doing that.

Regards.

Tim