[LLVMdev] [MC] [llvm-mc] Getting target specific information to <target>ELFObjectWriter

Carter, Jack jcarter at mips.com
Fri Dec 7 15:57:56 PST 2012

Hi Rafael,

There are a lot of flags. Here are the ones you ask about:

-KPIC, -call_shared	generate SVR4 position independent code
-call_nonpic		generate non-PIC code that can operate with DSOs
-mvxworks-pic	generate VxWorks position independent code
-non_shared		do not generate code that can operate with DSOs
-xgot			assume a 32 bit GOT

Just to make things fun, the SGI notion of cpic (call pic) fits gnu's -call_nonpic.

Remember, this issue is not whether the direct or standalone assembler can deal with it in their code. The problem is how to convey it to the <target>ELFObjectWriter in a clean manor because both use it. Some flags are picked by being the default, some from the commandline and others from the run of play. It is not a difficult issue except we require the ELF portion to work from the same sketch book for the 2 assemblers.

I am experimenting putting in a std::set into the MCSubtargetInfo base class that is for target use and see if I can end my ordeal ;-) Probably only useful for the older targets which have a lot of baggage to support. If that works I can convert it to work with Feature, but that is a bit of overkill at this point.

Cheers,

Jack