[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] UB in TypeLoc casting

David Blaikie dblaikie at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 13:06:47 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Eli Friedman <eli.friedman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 3:49 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Moving to LLVM dev to discuss the possibility of extending the cast
>> > infrastructure to handle this.

>> > LLVM-dev folks: what do you reckon? Should we extend the cast
>> > infrastructure to be able to handle value type conversions?
>>
>> No, I don't think that makes sense; the casting infrastructure is
>> complicated enough without having to deal with this.  It would be easy
>> enough to implement a method on TypeLoc to handle this,
>>
>> > It doesn't really feel like the right fit to me, but I'll defer to the
>> > community's wisdom if it's overwhelming. I'd just like to see a
>> > solution wherein we can't write this particular kind of bug again,
>> > ideally.
>>
>> Attaching proof-of-concept solution which prevents this kind of bug.
>> (Ugly, and requires C++11 support as written, but potentially
>> interesting anyway.)
>

> The C++11 should be easy to remove (move the enable_if to the return type).
> This approach seems reasonable to me.

Thanks Eli - that does seem to do the trick (took me a little while to
wrap my head around it, though). I've modified it, as Richard
suggested, to use enable_if in the return type & it builds in C++98
and correctly catches the TypeLoc usage.

I'll have to find some time to actually go & fix TypeLoc before we can
submit this, though.

(& technically we could allow casting where the parameter type is a
temporary, so long as you only cast to the same type - but that's not
much use. I wonder if we should trivially disallow casting when the
source/dest type are the same anyway? But I suppose there's no harm in
allowing that either, except that it might confuse the reader a bit
when they see a no-op cast like that)

- David