[LLVMdev] how to get and modify a global variable inside a module

Eduardo erocha.ssa at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 05:58:16 PST 2012

Hi Dong Chen,
I realized you are actually executing the IR, right? I am not sure if
the things I mentioned apply in that case. Actually, I wrote a
optimization pass that modify the IR. It modifies global variables and
the final IR is intended to be compiled.
A snippet of what I do looks like this:

class TestClass : public llvm::ModulePass {
public:
  TestClass() : llvm::ModulePass(TestClass::ID) { }
  virtual bool runOnModule(llvm::Module &m) {
	  for (llvm::Module::global_iterator ii = m.global_begin();
			  ii != m.global_end(); ++ii) {
		  GlobalVariable* gv = ii;
// here you can modify the gv variable (actually I am creating new
globals and deleting the old ones)
	      for (llvm::Value::use_iterator jj = gv->use_begin();
	           jj != gv->use_end(); ++jj) {
// jj is a reference for the user of the global variable
	      }
	  }
  }
}