[LLVMdev] Value of structure passed byval to a recurse function not initialized when accessed through GDB

Karthik Bhat karthikthecool at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 02:23:45 PST 2012

Hi,
The problem seems to be that in case we have a structure as argument
we pass the value indirectly via a hidden pointer.

Since we are passing value via a pointer we need to do a load in
X86TargetLowering::LowerFormalArguments i.e.

    // If value is passed via pointer - do a load.
    if (VA.getLocInfo() == CCValAssign::Indirect)
      ArgValue = DAG.getLoad(VA.getValVT(), dl, Chain, ArgValue,
                             MachinePointerInfo(), false, false, false, 0);

this part of code should have been executed.
But currently we are getting VA.getLocInfo() as CCValAssign::Full as a
result a load does not happen even though we have passed the value via
a hidden pointer.

Currently this seems to be the problem but i'm not sure as i'm a bit
new to the code. Would like to get input from community if the
analysis is correct and how to go ahead to fix this issue.

Thanks
Karthik

>>> Karthik