[LLVMdev] LLVM Archive Format Extension Proposal

Relph, Richard Richard.Relph at amd.com
Tue Dec 4 13:06:17 PST 2012

On Dec 4, 2012, at 12:55 PM, Rafael Espíndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com>
 wrote:

>> Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Have you looked at thin archives? They are a gnu extension and support
> an archive that has only references to object files and I *think* they
> can be recursive.

GNU thin archives can be nested, but they aren't suitable for our use. Thin archives are basically a symbol table member where the reference to the archive member inside the archive is replaced with a reference to the module/file in the filesystem. Our problem relates to archives that are a stream of bytes in memory… we explicitly want to avoid file system accesses, while avoiding duplicated modules.

But thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't considered it.

Richard