[LLVMdev] Which transform passes to apply?

David Tweed david.tweed at arm.com
Tue Dec 4 01:22:51 PST 2012

Hi,

If you want LLVM to do this you'll definitely have to enable unsafe-math
flags since the transformation isn't strictly valid in IEEE floating point
(the only web ref I can find quickly is

http://dlang.org/float.html

). Duncan has been doing some work in implementing stuff in that area that I
haven't kept up with. However, it might be worth considering tracking those
empty operations you want to at your own DSL level, so that you've got more
control over when these fp-unsafe optimizations are applied. (I was doing
something with automatic differentiation -- which throws up lots of
"multiply by 1"s , "add 0"s, etc --- about a year ago and found this was the
way to go then, but as mentioned there's been some activity in the area I
haven't been following.)

Regards,
Dave