[LLVMdev] Minimum Python Version

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Mon Dec 3 18:33:31 PST 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Duncan Sands <baldrick at free.fr> wrote:
> Lenny came out in 2009, and
> was the latest stable Debian release until 6 months ago, so it's not even
> that
> old.

To put that in perspective, Lenny was released around r64555. That's pretty old.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Duncan Sands <baldrick at free.fr> wrote:
> What is the reason for upgrading?  Is there a problem with python 2.4/2.5
> that
> can't be worked around?

See my reply to Tobi just a minute ago. People with python3 as their
/usr/bin/python are forced "install another Python locally" as well.
Given the choice of making it easy for someone running a fully
supported version of the Python language or for someone running a
long-dead and unsupported version of the language, I think the choice
is clear. I'm pretty sure that the effort is "significant" to support
back to 2.4/2.5 while supporting python3.

-- Sean Silva