[LLVMdev] [RFC] Scoped no-alias metadata

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Mon Dec 3 11:49:54 PST 2012

----- Original Message -----

Yes, good, thank you. The rationale (which I just re-read a minute ago) also makes this clear:

"Cacheing the value in an object designated through
a restrict-qualified pointer is safe at the beginning of the block in which the
pointer is declared, because no pre-existing aliases may also be used to reference
that object. The cached value must be restored to the object by the end of the
block, where pre-existing aliases again become available."

This is convenient, but also makes 'restrict' somewhat unique: It retroactively imposes a restriction on code that comes before it. If feasible, we may want to come up with a good way to warn about this if the user is flagrantly violating it.

Thanks again,
Hal

> ---
>
> "Let D be a declaration of an ordinary identifier that provides a
> means
> of designating an object P as a restrict-qualified pointer to type T.
>
> If D appears inside a block and does not have storage class extern,
> let
> B denote the block. If D appears in the list of parameter
> declarations
> of a function definition, let B denote the associated block.
> Otherwise,
> let B denote the block of main (or the block of whatever function is
> called at program startup in a freestanding environment)."
>
> The above does not specify where in the block B, the declaration D
> appears.  At the same time, the section below applies to the entire
> block B:
>
> "During each execution of B, let L be any lvalue that has &L based on
> P.
> If L is used to access the value of the object X that it designates,
> and
> X is also modified (by any means), then the following requirements
> apply: T shall not be const-qualified. Every other lvalue used to
> access
> the value of X shall also have its address based on P."
>

> -Krzysztof
>

> --
> Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum,
> hosted by The Linux Foundation

Hal Finkel
Postdoctoral Appointee
Leadership Computing Facility