[LLVMdev] RFC: Change tests to run with fixed (not-host dependent) triple

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Mon Dec 3 01:37:35 PST 2012

Apart from what has already being said, which I agree mostly, I have
some specific comments:

> a. We change the test suite to run in such a way that all tools default to
> an "unknown" host triple.

The assumptions will be different and I believe the refactoring of the
tests to make them pass on all currently passing architectures will
not be trivial. Good luck! ;)

> b. If someone feels there is missing coverage in some area, we add increased
> tests for that area (which get run on all platforms).

If you mean adding "unknown" triple tests as much as possible, I agree.

> c. If there is some reason that running with an "unknown" host triple is
> undesirable, I propose that we set the default test triple to be
> "x86_64-pc-linux-gnu", and require deviations to be specified.

Here, I don't agree. I don't see why one platform should be the
default over another.

A similar concept, but less prejudicial is: If the tests require
platform-specific features, platform-specific tests should be added.
*Only* those added will be assumed tested (for the sakes of
validation). Other architectures can add similar tests on their own
triples, if necessary / desired.

In a nutshell, "unknown" defaults to nothing at all, whether running
on Intel, ARM, MIPS or whatever. If you default "unknown" to the host
architecture, or to a specific architecture, the benefits of having an
"unknown" target is void, IMO.

--
cheers,
--renato