[LLVMdev] [RFC] Resurrecting the C back-end

Joshua Cranmer pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 22:08:03 PDT 2012

On 8/27/2012 9:57 PM, Hongbin Zheng wrote:
> I think the C backend also allow people performing source-to-source
> transform with LLVM (instead of Clang).

I do not believe that this would be the case nor that it should be a
goal. Source-to-source transformation requires a lot of accurate
information about the AST, and conversion to LLVM IR is way too lossy.
Signedness, for example, is lost at IR generation, as is any pretense of
machine independence.

--
Joshua Cranmer
News submodule owner