[LLVMdev] Greetings & Javascript -> LLVM...

Julian Klappenbach jklappenbach at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 12:04:55 PDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 5:57 AM, Konstantin Tokarev <annulen at yandex.ru>wrote:

> 19.08.2012, 00:39, "Julian Klappenbach" <jklappenbach at gmail.com>:
> >With this approach, the community would gain language independence for
> browsers
>
> Browser community is strongly opposed to the idea of having multiple
> web-faced languages

The browser development community may be opposed, but the general community
of developers appears to think otherwise.  I'm looking at the number of
languages that are sprouting up that are interpreted into JavaScript
(Ceylon, CoffeeScript, etc).

> > The first language I'd like to tackle is ECMAScript / Javascript.
>
> You can tale a look at llvm-lua project. However, speed of JIT achieved by
> llvm-lua is much worse than language-specific LuaJIT.
>
> [1] http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2011-December/018813.html
> [2] http://code.google.com/p/llvm-lua/

I'll take a look at the performance aspect of LLVM vs language specific
JIT.  Thank you, your input is very helpful.

-jjk