[LLVMdev] Dynamic number of registers

Sean Silva silvas at purdue.edu
Sat Aug 18 20:51:07 PDT 2012

Hi, I'm pondering using LLVM's backend pipeline to generate code for a
virtual machine (the DTrace DIF emulator) where the number of
registers must in general be queried dynamically*. Is this a
functionality that LLVM's backend pipeline currently supports? Does
LLVM's current backend pipeline assume a statically known register
set?

* For you DTrace nerds out there, yes, I know that in practice you can
probably "get by" by assuming 8, but nevertheless the "correct" way
(as documented) is to query for this number dynamically with
DTRACEIOC_CONF. I'm mostly just asking because if it's not too
difficult, doing it the "correct" way would be nice.

--Sean Silva