[LLVMdev] Greetings & Javascript -> LLVM...

Julian Klappenbach jklappenbach at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 13:39:32 PDT 2012

I have a concept for which I'm conducting an initial analysis.  The broader
idea is to create an LLVM, JIT based runtime that would create a platform
amenable to scripting languages, but do so while enforcing an optional
sandbox environment when dictated by security concerns (browsers, user
preferences).  With this approach, the community would gain language
independence for browsers, as well as enabling much needed standardization
over tooling support for debugging, refactoring, and even general editing
concerns.

The first language I'd like to tackle is ECMAScript / Javascript.

So, aside from all the issues with the strategy (getting buy-in from
browser / tooling teams, development community), my first concern is that
it is even possible.  Theoretically, it should be possible to express
Javascript in LLVM.  But a quick review of existing projects indicates
that, while LLVM -> Javascript has been taken on, what I'm seeking has not
been done to date.

Have I missed anything, or is there any reason not to attempt a project
like this?

Regards,

Julian Klappenbach