[LLVMdev] Compressing with llvm-ar

Martinez, Javier E javier.e.martinez at intel.com
Thu Aug 9 14:44:30 PDT 2012

It's too bad that the compression feature was dropped. Can you share why?

I was interested in using llvm-ar to compress LLVM outputs. My experiments show that BC and PCH files are highly compressible (~35% of original size).  I can see many situations that would benefit from a reduced storage size. I have tried other methods for reducing the file size such as tweaking with opt options (see attached thread) but didn't get much space savings. I really liked the idea of an LLVM tool to do the compression but I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Thanks,
Javier