[LLVMdev] Block profiling in LLVM

Alastair Murray alastairmurray42 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 12:41:55 PDT 2012

Hi Rajendra,

You don't mention how you want to use the data, but if it is within a
compiler then block profiling information can be trivially derived from
edge profiling information.  For each block just sum every incoming edge
to obtain the number of times that block was executed.

If you wish to do profiling for performance monitoring then llvm-prof
can tell you the hottest parts of your code.  Or, 'llvm-prof -A' prints
your entire program with ";;; Basic block executed N times." annotations.

Regards,
Alastair.