[LLVMdev] clang thread-local compilation error on windows

Stephen Schiffli sschiffli at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 12:04:04 PDT 2012

Hello, I am trying to compile some code to LLVM IR with a simple "__thread
int x" but hitting this error:
    test.cpp:1:1: error: thread-local storage is unsupported for the
current target

I'm using both the -S and -emit-llvm options on clang, and was expecting to
see "@x = thread_local global i32 0" come out of clang.

I am curious why clang even cares about this since its my understanding it
woud just attach thread_local to the declaration and then allow me to
handle it later on in llc to do the actual traget specific implementation.
 Can someone help clear where the thread-local implementation should go?

Thanks,
-Stephen