[LLVMdev] Getting oriented : Consuming Java bytecode with LLVM

C. Mundi cmundi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 14:53:12 PDT 2012

Hi.  "New" user looking for best places to dig.

Question :
Where should I look for the current state(s) of the art for translating
Java bytecode into LLVM IR?

My objective is to end up with a retargetable toolchain like this:

**.java ==(javac)==> { *.class } ==(Java bytecode frontend)==> *.bc
==(backend)==> target language*

My targets are various, and I expect to have to write at least one of my
backends.  I'm hoping that the frontend is already a solved problem for
Java bytecode.  And in particular I hope that the frontend can handle
imports from the Java Class Library.

I've built and worked with clang from time to time in the past, so I'm not
completely clueless, and I'm reading what I can find on vmkit (which I'm
still trying to get built on Ubuntu).  All the same, please assume that I
might be clueless.

Thanks!