[LLVMdev] Representing -ffast-math at the IR level

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Tue Apr 17 09:59:39 PDT 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 17:52:30 +0200
Duncan Sands <baldrick at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> >  1. Most compiler and back-end control of floating point behavior
> > appears to be motivated by controlling the loss or gain of a few
> > low bits of precision on a whole module scale. In fact, these
> > concerns are usually insignificant for programmers of
> > floating-point intensive applications. The input to most floating
> > point computations have far lower significance than the
> > computations themselves, and therefore they have precision to burn.
> > So the vast majority of such app developers would happily trade
> > precision for performance, even as the default behavior. However,
> > the place where trouble DOES occur is with overflow and underflow
> > behavior at critical points. Changing the order of operations, or
> > combining operations, can cause overflows or underflows to occur
> > that wouldn’t otherwise occur, and vice versa.
>
> for the moment I'm distinguishing (mentally) between transformations
> that introduce a uniformly bounded relative error, for example x+0 ->
> x, or x/constant -> x * (1/constant) if constant and 1/constant are
> normal (and not denormal), and those that can introduce an unbounded
> relative error. Reassociation is an example of a transformation that
> can introduce unbounded relative error, for example (1 + epsilon) - 1
> -> 0 if epsilon is small enough, while (1 - 1) + epsilon -> epsilon.
> I'm basically assuming that everyone is happy with the transforms
> that introduce a bounded relative error - it sounds to me like this
> is the distinction that you are making too.  Transforms that
> introduce unbounded relative error (like reassocation) are a can of
> worms, and I'm not sure how best to handle them.  So for the moment
> I'm not planning to handle them, just gather ideas and discuss.

I agree, these two things are quite different. For the constant
relative error class, yes, we should do them if at all possible. For
the others, we may want to only do these if we have some additional
information available (input ranges, for example). As far as this goes,
I would suggest trying to get advice from "the experts" (there are a
number of relevant projects at INRIA (Gappa, flocq, etc.), so perhaps
pinging someone from there would be helpful).

 -Hal