[LLVMdev] Building LLVM as a shared library using Visual C++ 2010?

Paul Robinson pogo.work at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:24:56 PDT 2012

There are a variety of "real world situations," some of them would benefit from
shared-library packaging and some would not.  Say you're building a set of
tools for internal deployment in your large-ish organization.
Factoring out the
Clang/LLVM bits into a shared library can reduce memory footprint when running
multiple tools, reduce disk footprint which therefore reduces
antivirus overhead,
and so forth.  The constant-flux aspect of the interface mostly means you can't
deploy the libraries separately from the tools that use them, but so what?
Logistically that's no different than how you would deliver static-linked tools.

Pogo