[LLVMdev] Instrumenting C/C++ programs

Himanshu Shekhar imhimanshu91 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 10:24:04 PDT 2011

I just  read that LLVM project could be used to do static analysis on C/C++
codes using the analyzer Clang which the front end of LLVM. I wanted to know
if it is possible to extract all the accesses to memory(variables, local as
well as global) in the source code using LLVM.
Is there any inbuilt library present in LLVM which I could use to extract
this information. If not please suggest me how to write functions to do the
same.(existing source code, reference, tutorial, example...)
Of what i studied is, I need to first convert the source code into LLVM IR
and then make an instrumenting pass which would go over this bitcode file
and insert calls to do the analysis, but don't know exactly how to do it.

Please suggest me how to go about it .
thanks
himanshu