[LLVMdev] Alias Analysis (Andersen pointer analysis)

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 22 07:38:35 PDT 2011

On 9/20/11 7:33 PM, Manish Gupta wrote:
> The README at the location shared by John says
>
> "DSA is undergoing significant changes and may not be entirely stable
> or correct. See lib/DSA/README"
>
> So, I was wondering from where should one pick the code. Although I
> will start my analysis and see how results turn out to be. But any
> comments on this line will be helpful.

I believe that mainline (Top of Tree) DSA should be working relatively
well with LLVM mainline.  We've updated the code to the LLVM mainline
API (which mainly involved some changes to which methods we use on
CallInst's), and I think it's passing the tests that it has.

That said, DSA is not as widely tested and used as LLVM.  If you find a
bug, please report it.  We want to fix it.

As an FYI, the release_27 branch of poolalloc (the project in which DSA
lives) compiles and works with LLVM 2.7.  That was the last stable
version before we begin migrating to LLVM mainline for the LLVM 3.0 release.

-- John T.