[LLVMdev] PTX BE status enquiry

Justin Holewinski justin.holewinski at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 15:26:31 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM, Schuster, Vince J <vinces at lanl.gov> wrote:

> I just joined the LLVM Dev list.
>
> What is the status of the PTX BE?

Most of our testing has been on micro-kernels, though I have been able to
generate correct (and mostly efficient) code for basic compute kernels.
 Support for texture fetches are not implemented.  Device function calls are
a current work-in-progress.

Basically, we support:

   - Arithmetic on i1/i16/i32/i64/float/double
   - Branching
   - Global memory read/write
   - Shared memory read/write
   - SM 1.0 - SM 2.0
   - PTX 2.0 - PTX 2.3

We have not put much time into optimizations yet.  We do simple
optimizations like folding mul/add pairs into mad, but that's about it for
now.

For some basic usage information with Clang, you can get my collection of
examples at https://github.com/jholewinski/llvm-ptx-samples.  These double
as more robust test cases.

Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

> thank,
> Vince Schuster

Thanks,

Justin Holewinski