[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

Peter Collingbourne peter at pcc.me.uk
Fri Sep 9 09:40:56 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 09:39:37AM -0500, Wesley Peck wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2011, at 7:47 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
> > I don't see the conversion to Git actually happening until someone can clearly demonstrate a win for the open source project.
>
> I would think that using git would allow LLVM to setup a system whereby commits are pushed to a special buildbot repository instead of the main repository. If a commit fails to pass the test suite then it would be rejected and never committed to the main repository, preventing it from causing issues with other developers. If a commit passes then the buildbots could automagically push the changes into the main repository.
>
> I'm not exactly sure how this would work, but I think it would be possible.

FWIW, I set up a system like this for another project a few years
ago (using Hudson (now Jenkins) instead of Buildbot).  As far as
I know, the team is still using this system successfully to manage
their changes.

Jenkins' git plugin has built-in support for this scenario (the
"Push Merges back to origin" option).  I have no idea how difficult
this would be to implement for Buildbot, and I haven't heard of
anyone actually doing it.

I'm not by any means advocating that we switch to Jenkins... just
mentioning my experience.

Thanks,
--
Peter