[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

Jakob Stoklund Olesen stoklund at 2pi.dk
Fri Sep 9 08:28:54 PDT 2011

On Sep 9, 2011, at 6:12 AM, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> The barrier of entry for the LLVM.org repositories is low. Getting
> review is normally easy. If it isn't, Git isn't going to improve the
> situation. If a switch to git is desirable to You (not meaning Justin),
> keep in mind that what is easy for one person can create a burden on
> someone else. The LLVM development style exists for a reason and matches
> what many other, often much older and just as large, projects do.

I completely agree.

I have been using git-svn for all of the three years I have been imposing my patches on the LLVM project.  I have made maybe 10 commits with svn and 1300 with git-svn.  I make offline commits, local branches, and I clean up my patches using 'git rebase -i' before committing.  I couldn't care less if I have to type 'git svn dcommit' or 'git push' to commit stuff.

All the advantages of git brought up in this thread are already being exploited by actual LLVM developers on a daily basis.  As advocates demonstrate the degree to which they understand this fact, I weigh their opinions accordingly.

As long as we stick to the current review and commit workflow, I cannot think of any reason to switch the master repository to git.  If we ever need to change the process, we should reconsider.

As for effecting social change? Get off my lawn!

/jakob