[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

Sean Hunt scshunt at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Sep 9 08:21:57 PDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:39, Wesley Peck <peckw at wesleypeck.com> wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2011, at 7:47 PM, Chris Lattner wrote:
>> I don't see the conversion to Git actually happening until someone can clearly demonstrate a win for the open source project.
>
> I would think that using git would allow LLVM to setup a system whereby commits are pushed to a special buildbot repository instead of the main repository. If a commit fails to pass the test suite then it would be rejected and never committed to the main repository, preventing it from causing issues with other developers. If a commit passes then the buildbots could automagically push the changes into the main repository.
>
> I'm not exactly sure how this would work, but I think it would be possible.

This is definitely possible, and would be cool to see implemented. The
big issue with this, though, is we don't presently have the buildbot
power to isolate individual broken commits and then retest all the
commits depending on them. It wouldn't even need to be a separate
repository; one repo could have an 'incoming' branch and its master
could refuse pushes, and then the repository machine has hooks which
test commits and then fast forward merge them into master once they're
confirmed good.

I do wish we had the buildbot power for this; it would be very useful.

Sean