[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

Bill Wendling wendling at apple.com
Thu Sep 8 17:28:04 PDT 2011

On Sep 8, 2011, at 5:09 PM, David A. Greene wrote:

> Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> writes:
>
>>> Let's face it, Joe Dragon is pretty much happy with svn and there's an
>>> svn-git bridge for the rest of us.
>
> The svn-git bridge is broken as several people stated before.  It is
> easier to contribute code via the gateway but it causes headaches when
> one updates one's working git clone after submitting through dcommit.
> The git pull generates all kinds of false conflicts.  This is because
> svn doesn't understand git history and never will.
>
> git-svn will never be a replacement for git.
>
>> For me, the question is "why do we *need* to switch our versioning
>> system?". Nothing is broken with our current model.
>
> There are things broken with the current model, though you may not care
> about them.  It is not possible to conveniently keep a private copy of
> LLVM and associated projects and sync regularly with upstream.  It flat
> out sucks.  This is because the svn model is fundamentally opposed to
> the idea of private repositories.  There's One True Repository and
> that's it.
>
> In other words, svn is not a distributed SCM.  It has long struck me as
> odd that a project whose license encourages private copies would stick
> with an SCM that has no support for keeping such copies.

It's my understanding that the upcoming new version of SVN will have off-line commits available. And syncing will always be a problem if your tree has greatly diverged from the main trunk. No code management system will alleviate that.

> You may not care, but don't claim the current model is not broken.

If you think git will help you with this, you use the git mirror (or create your own) and sync SVN to it. :-)

>> The things I've heard against SVN appear to be relatively minor
>> inconveniences.
>
> I assure you, they are not.

Just for the record, I've been using SVN for LLVM development for many years now. I've used it for our own, rather complex, internal use -- branching, patching, tagging. And while it may not be perfect, it's certainly not broken.

>> And we do have a git repo for those who wish to use the newest, most
>> fangled thing. :-)
>
> No, we don't.  We have a git-svn mirror which is crippled compared to
> native git.

So basically you want to use git and it doesn't play nicely with svn, and you're blaming svn.

-bw