[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

Talin viridia at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 12:14:05 PDT 2011

This is why I posted a link to the transition plan for Python -
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0385/ - to use as a model for LLVM's
transition. There are a lot of questions which need to be answered:

-- Where will the main repository be hosted?
-- What branches will be copied over from svn to the main repository?
-- What tools will be used to copy the history?
-- What presubmit hooks will be needed before the repository can go live?
-- Who will manage the set of core committers, and what tools / training
will they need?
-- Will the project hierarchy look the same as it does now?
-- Will there be any subprojects of LLVM that will not be migrating?
-- Will the LLVM history be trimmed to save space? If so, what will be the
cutoff?
-- What tool will replace the existing ViewVC functionality on the
llvm.orgwebsite?
-- What will happen to the old SVN repositories afterwards?

That's just a starter list, I'm sure there are many more questions that
could be asked,

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 2:27 PM, David Greene <dag at cray.com> wrote:

> Have we made any progress on a potential git conversion?  AFAIK the only
> outstanding technical issue is the monotonic revision number question.
> Personally, I have no nead for them but others have expressed
> reservation about losing them.
>
> Can we have a discussion about that to identify the core tasks currently
> needing monotnic revision numbers and how they might be accomplished
> under git?  Otherwise I fear we will be forever stuck in the waiting
> game.
>
> I also know that there is a time/resource issue in actually making the
> transition.  Some group of people needs to do the work.  Has there been
> any progress in identifying who those people are?  Any volunteers?  I'll
> put my name in the hat to do whatever mundane work I can do to help the
> process along.  All assuming we actually make the transition, of course.
>
>                            -Dave

-- Talin