[LLVMdev] Named struct metadata

Patrick Walton pwalton at mozilla.com
Sun Sep 4 17:26:00 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

It'd be useful for our purposes if we could attach metadata to named
structs. In particular, in Rust we're looking to use this information to
communicate information about our discriminated unions to the garbage
collector. (We could, and are at the moment, using the metadata argument
to the gcroot intrinsic, but this seems to inhibit optimizations and
adds a fair amount of noise to the generated IR, so we'd like to
transition to an addrspace-based GC solution at some point.)

It seems to me that attaching metadata to named structs could generally
be useful as a way to communicate additional ad-hoc type information to
optimizers, codegen, etc., in much the same way as GCC and Clang use
__attribute__ on structs.

Does anyone have opinions as to whether this is a good idea?

Thanks,
Patrick