[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sat Sep 3 15:13:43 PDT 2011

Am 03.09.2011 14:06, schrieb Francois Pichet:
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 8:01 AM, FlyLanguage<flylanguage at gmail.com>  wrote:
> I am not very familiar with GIT so I have a question:
> Let's say I don't fork and I work 1 patch at the time. Then what are
> the advantages of GIT over svn?

More options.
Even if you don't need a different workflow, you have a better chance
for any future workflow needs with git.

Also, git allows you to redact the version history. You can remove
irrelevant old revisions - those that were awfully broken, or too
embarrassing to allow to exist, or whatever. (It also allows you to
merge the comments of the removed commits into the follow-up commit.)

The ability to commit offline. Work on your code in places that have no
Internet access, committing away at will.
The commits will be synched with the public repository.

git preserves the history of each line of code, even as code is moved
from one file to another.
With svn, refactoring means you lose the history of the code that moves
to another file. If code moved files several times, reconstructing its
history and the commit comment for each change can become cumbersome.

Just to name those points that have been most prominently debated in public.

Regards,
Jo