[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Thu Sep 1 15:10:00 PDT 2011

FlyLanguage <flylanguage at gmail.com> writes:

>> Have we made any progress on a potential git conversion?  AFAIK the only
>> outstanding technical issue is the monotonic revision number question.
>> Personally, I have no nead for them but others have expressed
>> reservation about losing them.
>
> There are very decent solutions to the monotonic revnum issue (git
> describe, hooks/tagging), so that shouldn't hold back the transition.

That's what we need to have a discussion about.  If those things will
work for people, great.  If not, we have some stuff to figure out.

> I suppose it's merely a manpower thing now

I'm not assuming that given the volume of e-mail around this.

> and the fact that Subversion unfortunately works "well enough" for the
> majority of peeps.

Is that really true?  I've heard of a lot of LLVM developers using git
but it all seems very opaque right now.  That's why I hope to get people
talking so we can find out where everyone is and go from there.

                              -Dave