[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Upcoming Build System Changes

Jeffrey Yasskin jyasskin at google.com
Fri Oct 28 10:50:55 PDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Daniel Dunbar <daniel at zuster.org> wrote:
>  * I don't think CMake is good enough. I agree it solves problems, but
> I want to use great tools, not ones that work. In particular:
>    (c) This doesn't solve any other nice problems:
>          (i) It doesn't make it easier to play with other build
> systems (like Ninja, or gyp).

Speaking of ninja and gyp, gyp is actually a build system generator
like what you're proposing, while ninja is a replacement `make`
intended for use with build system generators. What are the reasons
you want to write a new generator rather than using gyp?

I believe someone's now written a ninja backend for cmake, although
I'm not sure where they put it, so cmake might actually provide an
easier way to play with ninja than your new system. Similarly, cmake's
xcode generator is nominally open source
(http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=blob;f=Source/cmGlobalXCodeGenerator.cxx;h=32eaef837e2d79c286ea7651d1ee3f69eb5f0f6a;hb=HEAD).
How come there's no interest in improving it?

Not that I really want to defend cmake. I hate its language as much as anyone.

Jeffrey