[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Upcoming Build System Changes

Eric Christopher echristo at apple.com
Fri Oct 28 10:47:34 PDT 2011

On Oct 28, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Daniel Dunbar wrote:

> Overall, I believe that my system will *reduce the work* and *improve
> the experience* of the majority of LLVM developers. The cost we are
> paying for this gain is (a) my time, and (b) a python dependency. As I
> said before, we already have (b) for running tests, which no one who
> has complained about this have given credence to. In my opinion,
> although this adds a new system, but it is actually reducing
> complexity because the system becomes (a) better documented, (b) more
> understandable, and (c) more explicit.

FWIW as "the other guy who works on the build system that isn't cmake"
I'm all for this. I have no problem with a python dependency and ultimately
replacing two build systems with a single well documented and more
understandable one is such a worthy goal that some short term change is worth it.

-eric