[LLVMdev] Problems with llvm-gcc and gold plugin

Luis D. Pedrosa luis.pedrosa at usc.edu
Tue Oct 25 21:23:41 PDT 2011

On Tuesday, October 25, 2011 10:48:35 AM Rafael Ávila de Espíndola wrote:
> On 10/22/2011 01:12 AM, Luis D. Pedrosa wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm new to LLVM and I'm still trying to learn how to get everything up
> > and running. I'm trying to use llvm-gcc with the gold plugin and it
> > complains that it can't find LLVMgold.so. As a simple test case I
> > wrote a very basic C file:
> > --- main.c ---
> > int main () {
> >
> >           return 0;
> >
> > }
> > ------
> > and compiled it with:
> > $ llvm-gcc -use-gold-plugin main.c
> > llvm-gcc: -use-gold-plugin, but LLVMgold.so not found.
> >
> > The file in question, LLVMgold.so, was successfully compiled into
> > llvm/Release+Asserts/lib/LLVMgold.so and I copied it into
> > llvm-gcc/libexec/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.2.1/LLVMgold.so. It is
> > my understanding that the file is looked for in the same directory
> > that has cc1 and I have a
> > llvm-gcc/libexec/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.2.1/cc1.
> >
> > Does anyone know what I am missing?
>
> I think you also need to copy libLTO.so, but I would recommend trying
> clang instead of llvm-gcc.
>
> > Thanks.
> >
> > -- Luis D. Pedrosa
>
> Cheers,
> Rafael

Thanks for the help, Rafael.

I had already copied that file as well, so that is not the issue. Any other
ideas?

As for using clang instead, I am actually going to be using klee and similar
analysis tools (cloud9). Their documentation is based on llvm-gcc, which is
why I took that route. I was trying to deviate from the their vanilla
installation as little possible, but if all else fails I can try clang and see
if it works.

Thanks.

-- Luis D. Pedrosa